Friday, December 5, 2008

The Final Countdown


"This is the final countdown". No this isn't for the twenty days until Christmas, but the countless days until the university applications are due. While filling out a few forms on the Internet doesn't sound like a daunting task, you should see the students when it comes selection time. Those who knew out of the womb that they were going to be a insert doctor, lawyer, teacher, circus performer... are now suddenly lost in the sea of choices. Personally, I'm not... at all! Is it just me, or is it okay NOT to know what you want to do. Now, I know (well, how can one really be 100% certain?) that I want to be a journalist, its just a matter of getting there. Am I scared? Yes. But spazzing out? Not in my eyes. (maybe to you guys, but that's another story). How does everyone feel about all these big decisions for the future? It is a broad spectrum at our school. There are those that have no clue and don't care, yet others are certain they know what they are doing. Based on the clique, people act differently to this looming deadline. Now this begs the question, why isn't everyone scared/natural/passive about the university applications? My psychology teacher may argue that its genetics or some combination of behavioural genetics (OK...). But I sometimes question, is all this sudden "freaking out" a way to get attention? I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks. But personally, I will likely be doing the applications over the Christmas break, sipping cocoa and sporting my fuzzy pink slippers. Stressful, eh?

1 comment:

Kris said...

My goodness, tell me about it. Except replace "cola" with "coffee", and I'll be set. The worst part is that you know there will thousands of kids doing the exact same thing, at the exact same time. Talk about nerve-wracking. And you know what? I like to think it's ok to not know where you're going, but with the economy and tutition fees as they are, people feel as though you have to instantly know what you want to do with the rest of your life. Hell, some of us don't even have our driving licenses yet! How are we suppose to decide exactly what career and lifestyle we want? It's insane...

-- "I"