Friday, December 19, 2008

December Never Felt Better!

While the weather outside may be frightful, I believe that this time of year is really all about warmth and companionship. I may seem hypocritical as I always write complaining about the materialistic mess that secularized Christmas has become.
Christmas shopping never seems like a daunting task to me, partially because I love to shopping. Many of my holidays are solely devoted to finding a new wardrobe for back-to-school, winter, summer, any excuse will do. In addition, I never find myself grasping for knick-knacks on December 24. Many ridicule me as I tend to do thing way ahead of time. Unlikely many people my age, I don't find myself procrastinating, but rather managing my time to fit everything into my somewhat busy schedule. It was November first, and I was already planning my ambush on the malls of Mississauga.
This year, my grandmother has stressed that she does not need anything. Nothing, at all... Years past, we ended up giving her a candy dish, or tickets to a show. Yet, how many of these ambiguous objects can one person get? At over 70 years old, she has simply realized than rather receive, she would rather give back. Sadly, the fortunate few do not realize that the amount of Christmas gifts we see under the evergreen is not the standard in every household. One in every eight children live in poverty in Ontario, not to mention the startling numbers overseas.
So while it may seem a bother to brave the malls this season, why not give a spin on the tradition present? With all "need" extinguished, many things that grace the lists of our friends and family members are fillers and wants. A suggestion to the traditional gift is to give to a significant charity in the person's name.
In grade nine, I was affected by my mother's breast cancer diagnosis. For our drama class' Secret Santa, my friend donated to the Cancer Society in my name. Although I didn't walk away with a sweater or a stuffed animal, the thought and meaning behind it was more than any present stuffed in a box.
Another great aspect to these gifts is that crowd-fearing shoppers can purchase these gifts online, over the phone, and in place (such as the hospital) where you aren't going to find a mob of people. While it is personal, the gift has an impact on the person on the receiving end, and at the same time sets an example to give back at this time of year.

No comments: