Sunday, December 14, 2008

"True Patriot Love"

I am the least patriotic person you will meet. Which is odd seeing as I am American- land of the free and home of the brave, or really a meeting place for ignorant flag-waving country-loving, pardon the generalization, hicks.
I have never liked standing for the national anthem, and I have always felt awkward singing along to the old ditty. This brings up my problem from Friday. Lets start out by saying I have a spare, first spare, excellent for those who like sleeping in, but if I get up ten minutes after the regular time, I feel like a slacker. So I went to school at 7:50, with only one hour and 36 minutes to kill. So before the lovely hurry up music started, I went to see my drama teacher. Being the wonderful student I am, I signed up to volunteer with the bake sale and went above and beyond by making signs (which I still haven't done, but am assuming will take 10 seconds to do so). By the time I got to my locker, our monotoned secretary murmurs something about standing for our national anthem. Its odd because our secretary has the voice of a phone sex operator, even those I don't know what they sound like, but that's how I envision they speak. After the song is done, I reach for my locker, clutching at my coat collar, which is collecting my sweat. (what a great way to start the morning :D) But no, because I am LATE (1 hour and 36 minutes mind you) i have to stand for the whole bloody thing. Announcements about our lame teams accomplishments, Man of the Match Honours goes to the same person for the 8 billionth consecutive game, and something about candigrams. My blood was boiling, and not just from the coat. I was be punished for being early!!! Whatever.

So this brings me to "national", in our national anthem... Whenever it is any sport season, people dust off their national flags which grace their cars, houses, jerseys, anything with a blank space... Notice how a minority of these flags are Canadians. We are a nation of immigrants (I am one too, so I can say that without sounding too insensitive) and its great. With the melange of cultures, we have great food, great music and great accents! Unfortunately though, many people keep their culture and do not assume ours. There is no Canadian. So why make these people stand for a song that they don't care about, nor do we even know the words.

Oh Canada, our home and (Native) land, true patriot love...

1 comment:

<3 Lindsay said...

Maybe its just cause i am completely canadian, but i think that there should be 'canadian.' something that unites us more than then we all cram onto the 400 series just to come to a complete stop. There is no way of us becoming a country. or having any relation to our country. Its no wonder no one believes me when i travel and i say i'm Candian. There is nothing distinguishing about us. I must just be an American. There is no Canadian
don't get me wrong i too hate the anthem too its ugly annoying and i think i've listened to it enough over the last 17 years of my life. I definatly think it sounded better when we were in kindergarden and meowed instead of sang!