Wednesday, December 17, 2008

All Hope Is Not Lost

Mood: mellow
Hating: stupid ISU assignments from school...and the fact that I haven't started my Christmas shopping...
Loving: that we only have two more days of school!
Currently lip-syncing : All Time Low -- Umbrella

------

I have always considered myself as a fairly responsible person. Of course, occasionally I'll forget something here, misplace something there. Unfortunately for me, one of the things that I misplaced the other day were my keys.
Now, to be completely honest, I have never lost a pair of keys. I've lost cellphones, yes, but for some reason I've always managed to hold onto my keys. But yesterday, all that changed. I couldn't for the life of me find them! I searched left and right, up and down; they were no where to be found. I started having a mild panic attack then. You see, not only do I have my house key and an extra set of car keys, but I also have job obligations. Working as a (sort of) night manager for my store, I carried a key to the actual store, the vault (in the backroom) as well as a key to our cash till. So needless to say, losing my keys was setting me up for a massive heart attack.

I've never been a fan of our school, seeing as how it's 50 years old and is falling to pieces, but it's nice to know that the people inside make all the difference.

I had run in yesterday, panting and desperately asking the secretaries if anyone had turned in a set of keys. They replied with a non-chalant, "Nope!" without even looking up from the magazines they were reading (I know they were magazines because I saw the Cosmo logo on one of them, and a picture of Angelina Jolie on the other). Disheartened, I had left.
But today, I walked into the office to check my mailbox for the Student Activity Council. Just as I was riffling through some junk mail, one of the secretaries called out to me, "You lost a set of keys, right?"
Confused, I replied with a hesitant, "Yes..." and with a grin, she triumphantly held up my keys from behind the desk! I was so happy I almost hugged the woman. It definitely frightened her. When I asked who had returned them, the secretary simply told me a person had found them in the school doorway and turned them in. They hadn't even left a name.

Despite my happy exterior, I often find myself being extremely cynical. But today, having a person do a random act of kindness really melted my heart a little bit. Someone turned in some keys they found without seeking any sort of recognition, just like a good Samaritan. Maybe we shouldn't give up on humanity just yet, huh?

No comments: